Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Dog Ate my Homework

It's the day before my surgery. I'm planning on having a relaxing day with my boys. Boris and I haven't decided whether we'll go out to dinner and I haven't decided whether I want to take pictures of my breasts before they're gone. I have the day to decide. I spend the morning at the park with Miles as usual and come home to play and snuggle with Baron. Katie 1 comes over for lunch. She makes me feel so much better about my surgery. She tells me what it was like for her, what I should expect and shows me her boobs, again. They're still so good that I just feel better knowing that's what I'll look like, too.

Halfway through our lunch my phone rings. It's Dr. Slate. "I need to talk you about your surgery tomorrow," he says. This seems weird since we've already taken care of everything, but okay. "I just got out of surgery and was told that Dr. Phillips is in the hospital with food poisoning. I don't think he can perform your surgery tomorrow," he says. I am in shock and am speechless, which is a pretty major for me. I look at Katie 1 and then say "are you kidding?" He's not. "So what does this mean?" I ask. Dr. Slate says that they will have to reschedule my surgery until next Thursday. It's the first day they could squeeze me into their schedules. Or I could get a "fill in" surgeon which is obviously not an option. Holy shit. "Is that okay?" Dr. Slate asks. Of course it's not okay. I've been emotionally preparing myself for the past 3 weeks for surgery tomorrow and now it's postponed for an entire week. But what choice do I have? And it's really quite fitting for me and everything else that's occurred. Because whose surgery gets canceled because their surgeon landed himself in the hospital with food poisoning? Only me.

I guess it could be worse. I could have been the patient in surgery with him when he got sick and had to leave.

So now I have another week with my boys. And another week to agonize over my upcoming surgery. Shoot me.

No comments: