Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sharon is Amazing

For the past 12 years, on my birthday, Nitasha asks me what the past year has taught me. I usually have to think pretty hard to come up with something. So this year, I'm prepared. Turning 35 with cancer makes you think about life. And death. A lot. The past year has taught me that I am amazing. Really. When all of this craziness began, people kept telling me how brave and strong and inspirational I was. I would just shrug and say that I was doing what anyone would do. Wouldn't everyone diagnosed with cancer while pregnant choose to have their baby despite making chemo longer and more difficult to handle? Wouldn't everyone have chemo and then take their son to the park a few hours later? Wouldn't everyone continue to see their friends and family on a regular basis during treatment? Wouldn't everyone get up in the middle of the night or early morning with their newborn? Wouldn't everyone rarely complain about what they're going through and feeling? Wouldn't everyone try to have a date night with their husband once a week (pre-newborn of course)? What I've learned this year is that no, they wouldn't.

If you didn't know I had cancer and what I was going through, you would never know from meeting me. Or being with me. Or seeing me. You might think my hair/fashion choices were questionable (since I still have no clothes that fit properly). But you wouldn't know. A dear friend recently sent me the most beautiful email that, among other things, said that I am "so fucking tough" that no one would ever know what is going on with me and that I am courageous and brave and she doesn't know how I found the ability to fight the way I do. My Aunt also left me a similar message after seeing me at the park with Miles 40 minutes after finishing chemo. She said that I "blow her mind" and that she hopes I give myself credit for being so amazing. And what I have learned this past year is that they are right. No need to shrug or think that everyone would act the way I'm acting. I am strong and a warrior and a miracle and tougher than pretty much anyone. Period. So fuck you cancer. I am amazing.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You're right...Sharon is amazing!

Goli said...

I think amazing is an understatement!!!
Thank you for sharing your blog.
xxooo
Goli